Movie

Wednesday, March 30, 2016

MR. X and ME

Recently I new member Mr. X joined my team. We were having the introduction and as soon as  I said I am from Assam his eyes shot up. Ahh its a beautiful place. The Bhoot jolokia (Ghost Chilly) is Awesome Man. He said with such conviction I felt he must have tasted the fire in the Bhoot. Being happy I at last met someone who knows Assam,  and not someone who said Assam with the huge open mouth as if its near Australia, asked him when did you go there. He said -'Nai re.Roadies me dekha'. I was awed. How can someone say with such belief. I felt thankful to Raghu and his team for once at least. But soon he, with a very confused look, asked but how come your title is Upadhyaya. "You should be from UP side na." I told him I was a Nepali and awaited anticipating the next set of question which I have come across often than not. 

Mr. X - "So you are from Nepal?"
Me - "No I am from Assam."
But you said you are Nepali! 
Yes I am Nepali, But I live in Assam
That means you are Assamese
No I am Nepali.
But how come you are Nepali if you live in Assam
My mother tongue is Nepali but I live in Assam
Okay, Okay.. So you are from Nepal but you migrated to Assam.
Technically Yes. But not me. My great grandfather came from Nepal
So that means you are from Nepal
I am not from Nepal. My GREAT GRANDFATHER came from there. My GRANDFATHER was born in India and my father and my mother and her father all were born in Assam. So my three generation have been in Assam. SO I AM FROM ASSAM
That means you are Assamese.
Where you are from?
Delhi
You live in Pune. So if your son is born and brought up here and settled here and someone asked his son where is he from what  will he say?

Mr X left looking perplexed and saying a long ACCHAAA.

The conversation left me thinking again like numerous times before how should I introduce myself. 

I think more or less like -"I am a Nepali speaking boy brought up in a Bengali speaking neighborhood in a Assamese speaking state which lies in the North East corner of India".

4 comments:

  1. This the story of maximum indians, even in the corners of west in india, whether they are pakistani's, punjabi's or rahasthani.
    I think, india suits better.
    By the way, nice one..keep sharing your jUST saying thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This the story of maximum indians, even in the corners of west in india, whether they are pakistani's, punjabi's or rahasthani.
    I think, india suits better.
    By the way, nice one..keep sharing your jUST saying thoughts.

    ReplyDelete